Thursday, November 1, 2007

Selective Seeing.......

......the close cousin of Selective Hearing. I think that I had a severe case of selective seeing yesterday, but the positive side of that is that I noticed before it was too late. At the office yesterday, like in many offices around the country, we had a pot luck. Knowing that what my co-workers bring is always extremely tasty and just the kind of food I'd like to avoid, I planned ahead and brought my lunch. I was proud, I'd taken a step towards changing an unhealthy norm. Cut to lunchtime and I'm helping set up. The spread looks amazing and smells even better. What brought on the "selective seeing" thought was that I must have been in and out of that room 4-5 times with different trays, and each time after I'd set down what I was carrying I'd take a gander at the goods. All along I'm thinking, "I really want to eat one of everything, just try it all......but no, I've made the commitment to change. Well, then I wish that there were a few healthy choices, so that I could at least participate in the festivities." Mind you that this is probably the FIFTH time I've been in the room, when I look to my right and sitting right there on the table are a LARGE dish of assorted fruit and the same size bowl of salad. For whatever reason my eyes passed right over these dishes without even so much as registering that they were there. It really amazed me. I guess that there are times when you hear what you want to hear, and others where you see what you want to see.



I ended up eating my meal that I'd brought along with a few bowls of fruit. I did cave a little and have a bowl of homemade chili over probably 10 Fritos. All in all I did well not to eat everything there. I was proud of the choices that I made, because a week or a month ago I would have brought my lunch, and then left in in the fridge so I could fill up on what everyone brought. We also had a bit of a buffet style meal at my sister-in-laws house last night after taking the kids Trick-or-Treating. I made good choices there as well.



I guess that's a few small tests down, a few thousand more to go. Here's to passing all of them!



I want to take just a couple of seconds to say THANK YOU to all of you who have added me to their pages and welcomed me so kindly. Like I've said in a couple of my responses, I just hope to be a productive member of the F.A.T. Coalition. I said in my very first post that I'm doing this to keep myself accountable. I can already feel that happening, and let me tell you, it's a good feeling.



OK I have a couple of questions just about general stuff.



1.) I like where a lot of you post some random picture at the top of your post that pertains to your title or what the post is about. Is there a place to find free pix and how do you add them to your post. Also, I've taken my dreaded "BEFORE" pictures, but when I try to add it to the main page of my blog, it's HUGE. I don't know how to resize it to fit nicely like all of yours do. Any suggestions??



2.) Anyone have a good suggestion for an accurate scale that's moderately priced? Having a body fat % option would be great too. I have one at home, that I guess works OK, but I feel like if I don't stand on it just right, that it's not giving me the right #. I know that there are natural fluctuations in body weight thru out the day, but I can step on and off 3 times in a row and get three different #'s.



3.) Finally, how do I add all of your names to MY page??



Any help in these areas would be much appreciated. Have a great day everyone!!

9 comments:

Ripx180 said...

Kyle glad to see you made good choices on one of your first days back into the real world. I cant say it ever gets much easier... However you do get used to resiting after a while. The more you can minimize junk food the better off you will be. diet is huge in the game of weight loss. Looking forward to watching your progress over the months to come.

kyle said...

Thanks for the support Rip, and I'm glad that it gets easier. I know it's the way I eat that brings me down, I've worked out enough in the past to where I should have seen some weight loss, but stayed even. My biggest challenge will be the food.

Rob Tucker said...

The answer to #3 is to look to the top right of your blog when you're at your main page, and hit Customize. Then, on the right side panel you "Add a Page Element", and select the list. You'll be able to add us from there. Hope that helps.

As for #1, I just google whatever my topic is and see what picture comes up. So, say if I feel like my life has been a roller coaster ride, I'll go to google, type in "roller coaster" and search images.

Once I find one I like, I right click, "copy link location", and then when I'm in my blog, there's a little button that looks like a picture, it's to the right of the ABC, click on that, and you put the picture's address in there. If it's a pic on your hard drive, you can put it there as well. It'll resize for you.

As for #2, my scale's a piece of crap, so I can't help much on that one.

Great decisions today! You walked into a warzone (office full of food) and you walked out alive - more than once!

Marcol said...

Great choices Kyle, youre on the right track. It is interesting that we see and hear what we want when we want. Glad you were able to hone in on the salad and fruit.

You can add folks to your blog by going to layout and picking a links list and then adding in everyone's blog page.

kyle said...

Thanks for the help!!

Anonymous said...

Good job avoiding the bad stuff. Had there been chocolate there, I would have had to step outside. :)

Kristen said...

Pretty brave of you to keep hanging around that food. Great job on exercising control. Sometimes it's just about making "better" choices instead of perfect.

One day at a time...Great job on this one.

Jim McCoy said...

Good job avoiding the nasty stuff at the pot luck. I'll be adding you now that I realize that you've joined. I had some craziness involging too much homework and a trip out of town, so I missed your intro. Welcome to FAT. I apologize.

Melissa said...

You did great at the pot luck...those seem to be the hardest places for me!

To add a picture to your blog..you search a picture on google, and save it to your harddrive. Than when writing a post, click the insert image ico, and uploaded it from your harddrive. Than you can pick what size you want, small medium or large.