Monday, November 5, 2007

What the "F"?



Well, well, well.......look who decided to show up this weekend. It's not too hard to figure out who it is. Yes, unfortunately it's the guy that I'm trying to distance myself from. I think that I'm going to learn very quickly that getting away from someone that resides inside of me is a seriously difficult task.

I don't know what else to say except that I had a bad weekend, and if I don't start to plan better, it's going to turn into a reoccuring theme. More often than not, my wife and I have some sort of family function to attend on the weekends. We've been doing it for so long that it's very easy for me to fall into old habits. Even when I'm fully aware of what I'm doing, the pull of normalcy is very strong. I don't even have the excuse that it was all just mindless eating and drinking. Nope, I knew exactly what was going on and just told myself "You can make up for it this week."


This is exactly the kind of attitude and rationalization that's got me to the point I'm at. I need to break the mold that I've eaten myself into over the years. My main thought right now is that I've got to be a little more methodical about this stuff. My goal this week is to put forward some specific measurable goals to strive for, and also some specific ways that I'm going to achieve them.

SO.....goal for the week, MAKE GOALS!
I hope everyone is having a great day, talk to you soon!!!

10 comments:

Ripx180 said...

Kyle I struggle with this exact same thing as i am sure many other do to. When I have succeeded in the past it was because I had a plan. A man without a plan is "F'd". Your old self will take over and start making bad decisions on the fly. What I like to call "winging it". Trust me you don't want to wing it or your f'd!. What has worked best for me is I will make a plan and then verbalize it to my wife (assuming your wife is on board and supportive). Tell her your plan, that makes it more set in stone. Like I will say "Babe, I am having no booze tonight and am going to watch my portions sizes very carefully" or whatever you plan is. Load up on the lean meats and veggies and minimalise the carbs, sugars, and processed foods. Make a plan and stick to it. All the people on the coalition who have succeeded have a detailed plan. Tell us what your gonna do at your next family gathering via blog and do it. You can do this.

Rob Tucker said...

I'm with you - a lot of the weekends are dedicated to family functions. That's a great problem to have, but it forces your hand on the eating front.

Try verbalizing to the wife what your goal is once you get there. "I am going to eat perfectly and I'm only going to have ___ and ____".

Then, make her keep you accountable.

You're right, we have to get out of this 'normalcy' and create a new normal. The old normal got us in this situation in the first place.

layla said...

kyle, force yourself to eat as clean as you can for the next 10 functions you go to. after that, it will start to stick and feel natural. and take great pride in eating healthily while others stuff themselves senseless. be really proud of your self control so you wouldnt want to relinquish it like that. before you go out to a danger zone, psyche yourself up mentally and plan out exactly what you intend to do so you can manouvre it like a whiz. this is a skill you will need for the rest of your life if you want to stay thin so just do it and dont look back! and report to us proudly about how you succeeded, what was available, what you ate and how you got out of sticky situations involving desserts or alcohol. you CAN do it. eating out used to be the one step that would snowball into a series of dietary disasters for me but once you've overcome it and controlled it, it becomes a non issue.

kyle said...

The wife thing is a great idea. She's definitely on board with this and very supportive. I'll make sure to let her know my plans up front so I have at least that one person support group while I'm there. It's funny, buy I find myself looking forward to the next family function so that I can report back proudly about my successes.

Jim McCoy said...

Get to making those goals. It doesn't matter what they are, but until you do, you've got no direction.

Marcol said...

Kyle I think one of the most important things happened for you this week you realized your weakness and aiming to find a plan of attack to thward off disaster. See the good and keep moving forward. Let us know about those goals :)

Kristen said...

Weekends are usually soooo hard. They aren't nearly as structured as the weekdays, so it's easy to lose focus. I wish there were an easy answer, but it's still a struggle for me too - even after 18 months or so of doing this.

I've actually been better lately since I've started working out on at least one day of the weekend. I think it's just like...there is NO WAY I'm going to waste that workout on ______. Even if I do waste it, I tend to eat less of it.

Moderation.

Ripx180 said...

Kyle you got your goals in place?? the weekend is near. Get your plan on F.A.T brother.

Marcol said...

Kyle - how are you doing?

Brian said...

how are the plans coming? I hope one of them is to post more :)