Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Plans are for Fools....



....as Brian would say. I guess I've resigned myself to the fact that I must become a fool ;) Hello all. It's been 5 days since my last post, and I'm feeling guilty about it. I've actually been doing quite well in my quest. This morning was my lowest weigh in to date. My eating has been really good, but I haven't been making the time to workout enough. This has pushed me to finally set some guidelines for myself, FINALLY.






  • I am going to workout AT LEAST 3-4 times per week. More time spent working out would be ideal, but this is my bare minimum.



  • I am going to start counting calories to the best of my ability. Winging it in my head seems to be working fine, but I've heard that often times people underestimate the amount they are eating by up to 40%! That sounds crazy to me, but I want to be sure. I've used an online calculator to estimate my TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) at right around 3000 calories. I'd like to reduce my calorie intake to between 2200 and 2400 per day. This is by no means perfect, but I'll try it for a little while and then make adjustments accordingly.



  • One other goal that I'm really contemplating is trying a half marathon with my wife in Seattle next summer. We will be in town to visit my great aunt during some sort of yearly festival there. My wife has always wanted to run in one (even after having a baby 3 months ago, she's well on her way back to being in great shape), and I'd love to surprise her by signing us both up for it. My biggest hurdle is that I DESPISE running. After being an athlete for my entire life and always being forced to "condition", I always told myself that when sports were over, I'd find some other way to do cardio. There are plenty of good alternatives to running. I'm a big guy, and running has never been a comfortable thing for me to do. Did any of you who now run have similar feelings about it before you started?



I also have come up with a few target time frame goals as far as my weight loss goes. Right now I'm at 270, roughly 8 lbs less than when I started (Oct. 29th).







  • 265 by 12/01/2007. This is holiday picture day for my family, so I'd like to drop a few extra lb's. I think that if I'm conscious of my intake during the holiday, and diligent in my workouts, I should be close to this #.



  • 258 by 12/31/2007. Down 20 lbs by the end of the year would be a great start to my journey to a better me.



  • 249 by 01/30/2008. One of my best friends always comes to visit during the Phoenix Open (or FBR Open if you will). I saw him the week before I started this change when I was close to 280. He's kind of the fitness nut of my circle of friends, so I'd really like to challenge him for that title. Another part of this goal is where we go out when I hang out with my close friends. It's always an ongoing battle between the "upper class" dressy kind of clubs and bars, and the casual-can I wear my hat and running shoes- college type of place. I always push hard for the latter of the two because I'm just not confident at all when I dress up to go out. I always say "that's not my scene", which probably won't change much when I've lost weight because I'm a pretty low key guy who'd rather chill and drink beers with the boys than go out clubbin', but a lot of that feeling also stems from not being confident in the way I look.



I know that there are only three goals there, but it's a start. That puts me on track for the next 2 months. If I achieve them early I may have to reassess. I guess that would be a great problem to have!




I want to wish all of you a most joyful Thanksgiving and holiday weekend. I certainly am thankful that I've become a part of such a wonderful group of people. I'll talk to you all soon!!




PS-Turn on the TV tomorrow night and pull for my Sun Devils against the hated Trojans. If we win this one, watch out Rose Bowl, here we come!! PSS-My scale sucks. I can step on it three times in a row and get three different weights. Quite a pain in the ass. It's like if I stand on it just right or just wrong the numbers are completely different. I need something that is more consistent.

7 comments:

Kristen said...

I think most of us had the same apprehensions about running. It's just always been something that I thought I couldn't do. It wasn't until I started doing it in June that I found that I could do it...and that I actually enjoy it.

I love the goals that you've set. They are all very realistic and attainable.

Losing 8 pounds in less than a month is definitely a great start too. Excellent!

Rebecca said...

Counting calories, weighing & measuring, and keeping good records are not my idea of a good time, but they are crucial to successful weight loss. After a while, you'll be able to eye your portions and calories, but for now, I think you will find making a plan to be a wise thing to do. ;) Goals are helpful too - they keep us accountable, even when we don't hit them exactly on target. You are well on your way to a successful journey.

I was actually thinking about doing a half-marathon in the spring myself. Your wife will be pleased I'm sure. :)

Jay said...

Love your goals, they're very realistic.

It's funny, I was thinking about the whole "plans are for fools" thing, and I realized that it's really about changing your mindset. Some people can do this without formal planning, some can't (like me). Once you have a change in mindset, you can be more flexible about your plans.

for a scale, try this one. It's a bit expensive, but it's extremely accurate, I've found.

The Sun devils have a shot at the division! Dang! Cal used to have a shot at the national title until meeting with your team...now they can't beat anyone and will be lucky if they go to the Emerald nuts bowl :(.

Rob Tucker said...

Man, so much to say. I'm right there with you on the running thing and how I felt at first. I'm 6'4, was 378 when I first started, so I hear you big time.

All around, great great work. Glad to see you posting. You should post more often, you'll find that getting into that habit of accountability will only push you farther. Good luck getting to that half marathon, that's awesome to have that as a goal!

Jim McCoy said...

Love to see you setting some goals. Twenty pounds in just over a month is going to be a bear, but I wish you luck with it. Just be careful not to go too crazy and stay healthy with it.

kyle said...

What I meant Jim is that if I get to 258 by the end of December I'll be down twenty total for the 2 months since I started. Although..... losing 20 lb's in a month would be GREAT!! :)

Ripx180 said...

bummer that the sun devils lost... My brother in law is a huge fan and actually played football for them in his college days.

Great to see that you have some goals set. Gives you something to focus on. They all look very obtainable.

I agree with posting more also, I need to do it to.