Friday, November 30, 2007

One Month


That's what it's been now.....one month since I've started. I'm actually quite proud of myself so far. There will always be room for improvement, but my journey so far has been the most conscious I've been about being healthy in a LONG time. The results that I expected have not arrived yet. I guess that's what I get for "expecting" things. Some of that is undoubtedly my fault, but I'm also somewhat miffed about my progress. Mentally......right now, at this moment :)........I'm happy with the changes that I know I've made. I KNOW that I've made better choices with food, with portion sizes, with what I drink, etc. I am also very aware that I need to make a more concerted effort to work out consistently if I want to achieve my ultimate goals. What I don't understand is how I can basically be at the same point today that I was exactly one month ago. Again, I wasn't perfect, but I didn't expect to be. I've been taking it one day at a time. But to have the scale read close to where I began still doesn't compute in my head. Especially when I think a week ago today I had my lowest weigh in which was down almost 10 lbs. The only thing that I can think of is that I broke my scale (no BS :) It must have been probably Sunday or Monday when I stepped on it and it made a big SNAP noise, which I'll admit was a little embarrassing. It also lowered about a quarter inch. I picked it up and a small insignificant looking silver piece fell out. The numbers were a little high, but I just figured that it was from eating bad on Sunday. Well they haven't changed since and I'm really starting to wonder. Half of me thinks that it must be the scale because I really have done well this week, but the other half just thinks that it's my mind rationalizing why I'm the same. Who knows. I guess it's all I got, but I think next time I'm at the gym (tonite) I'll use their scale to check.


On another note, I'm very excited about participating in one of "Tuck's Big Challenges" this coming month. Being an athlete for most of my life the thing I miss most is the competition. For 3 months out of the year (Feb, Mar, & Apr) that thirst is quenched because I get to coach Baseball at one of our local High Schools, but for the rest of the year it just lingers there. I look forward to the challenge in December, Biggest Loser style. I hope everyone is well, and I'll talk to you all soon!


6 comments:

Rob Tucker said...

Glad to have you in the challenge. Make sure you post in the Tucks' Big Challenge forum so you're 'officially' signed up. Some have, some haven't ;)

Good luck in December!

Geoff said...

Consistency is the key. For the first month I was working out and attempting to eat right, but I wasn't making any progress on the scale. What I had to do was tune in my diet a little better (cut out chips and some other things completely) and hit the gym consistently. If you hit the gym 4 times next week (or whatever workouts you do) and don't blow the diet, I'm pretty sure you'll see some results. Then do that for the next week, and the next. That's how we'll get there.

Marcol said...

Hi Kyle!

Wooohooo youre one month anniversary! Thats big because I know a lot of folks who give up after 1 week. Congrats man, I know youll be sticking around for the long haul.

As for the scale it does sound like its ummm probably broken. You might do well to monitor somewhere else for awhile until you can purchase a new one. But even if you find that its not broken I want you to do become faint at heart. Reason being youve made stellar changes over the last month and theyre all steps in the right direction for the goals you want to achieve. If you can look up and say youve eaten wiser, thought about your choices as you were making them and stuck to the mini goals youve set which all I know you can say youve done then youre doing awesome!

Stick with it and dont give up...the best is yet to come!

PS - bring on the competition, show me what youre made of :)

Melissa said...

My first month joining FAT I think I lost 1lb. I think the first month really is about finding your way around this new lifestyle. Adapting to the new changes. As long as your consistent, you can than mix things up to find what is going to work vs whats not going to work. You are moving in the right direction, keep up the great work and you will see the results your looking for soon :)

Jim McCoy said...

Congrats on making it through the month. If things are falling out of your scale, though, I think I'd get a new one. You might be making more progress than you think you are.

Rebecca said...

Sounds like a broken scale to me too. But if it's not, like Geoff said, I would fine tune, and basically keep doing what you're doing. If you are weighing/measuring, and keeping track of what you eat, and eating and exercising enough (not eating enough can prevent you from losing weight too), you will eventually see the results. Hang in there!