Monday, November 12, 2007

Finding Time....


Greetings everyone!! I'm sure you all were thinking that you'd gotten rid of me.......Not so Fast!! Sorry about so few posts, but this past week I've struggled mentally with this journey that I've started on. I know that my obstacles are no different than many of yours. I have a job that takes up much of my day, I have 2 little girls that I want to spend more time with, I have a wife that wants me to be home more, etc. NONE of these things are new to any of you, it's called life and you learn to work within your own little world. Easier said than done!


The problem is that I'm having a difficult time adjusting my schedule to fit in everything that I want to do. By reading many of your posts, I can see that most of you adhere to a strict plan to achieve your goals. That method is tried and true in the forum. I wonder......would I be setting myself up for certain failure by NOT setting a specific schedule? I mean, we all know when we are eating well and when we are not. Does it need to be planned out minute by minute. I'm afraid that I wouldn't stick to such a detailed plan for one reason or another. Knowing myself like I do, each of those little failures would eat at me, until finally I'd feel so bad about not holding myself to the plan, that I'd say screw it.


I'm talking crazy aren't I? I hate the feeling I have right now. It makes me feel like this is just going to be the same old thing. Try for awhile, and then slip back to my old ways. I see the success that all of you have had, and that motivates me so much, but somewhere in the back of my mind my inner fat is telling me that I'll never stick to this. I didn't post last week, and I'm telling myself, "See.....it's already happening, you're already slacking off." Like one of Billy's posts talked about, I am a HUGE HALF-ASSer. Story of my life. Do enough to get by. I work out hard at the gym, but could it be harder....sure. I eat well for the most part, but could I eat better.....absolutely. What does it take to snap out of a life long funk, and take control? My grade so far that I'd give myself is a C- on this trek. My eating has definitely changed for the better, and I'm working out more, but both points could be much better.


I feel like I'm just throwing a pity party for myself right now and I HATE that. It just seems like you all are so mentally strong, and I keep caving. I know that there is no magic wand that you can wave over me to make me get it, I have to figure all this out on my own. I appreciate all your support, and I'll get thru this.
This post ended up not being about time at all. Most of my set backs stem from me, not the outside factors of my life. :)


If it is to be, it is up to me!

7 comments:

Kristen said...

I think it just takes time to find your groove sometimes. I know it did for me at least. Doing something is better than what you were doing or what you could be doing. Just stick around and you'll find that motivation typically comes in spurts for a lot of us. Routine is what keeps us going in between those spurts...and routine only really occurs after a lot of practice.

Hope that makes sense. Keep pushing forward. It gets easier.

Ripx180 said...

Kyle, I am not a A student either (maybe a solid c+ or B- in the weight loss realm). so take what I say with a grain of salt and by no means am I trying to be mean, just realistic.

If you want this you have to make it a priority man. The majority of your last blog pretty much was a bunch of lame excuses to not put in the time. You sound like you are already throwing in the towel, like your giving up. Look at all the things in your life that are important to you. You being healthy will make those things better. You will get more time with your family and the time you have will be better used. When people say get a goal or schedule its primarily used to train yourself to learn your new lifestyle. Like you said you have spent allot of your life learning how to slack and not take care of your body. So its going to take some time to undo that. If you not willing to put in some effort you cant expect anything out. garbage in = garbage out. I know its hard cause I struggle with it everyday. We are pretty much in the same boat. You have to do this for yourself and really want it. Nobody can stop you from eating sh$% or make you exercise hard only you can make that decision and put it in action. Just do it... starting tomorrow blog about what you did good or bad. You really need goals so you know what you want out of this. Put some long hard thought into it cause that is what you need to do to succeed.

We are all in your corner man. Now get up and get going.

kyle said...

Trust me..that's what they felt like when I was writing them...lame excuses. The same ones that I've used for years.

I appreciate your thoughts, and in no way would I take them as mean.

A kick in the ass is sometimes needed.

Melissa said...

Maybe your trying to much at once. Its can be overwhelming to go from not doing A, B, & C..to trying to do A-Z. Maybe each week have a different goal whether it be eating wise, exercise, etc. And add another goal each week. Before you know it you list will grow of living a healthy lifestyle.

Hang in there!

Brian said...

When I first started this new lifestyle a few months ago, part of the initial challenge was sorting out all of the information that was being presented to me. There are calories, workouts, nutrition facts, weight lifting, cardio, all this stuff that I knew very little about. The most important first step to me was simplifying it all to basics and just setting up SOME PLAN. I knew that plan would change over time anyway, but it was very important that I do SOMETHING. Sort out all the details later.

So start small. Get a base. Keep reading and asking questions and doing research when you can. Weigh yourself every day. Stay focused, even if it just means staying focused on one or two healthy THINGS a day. Eventually it will build and start to take over on some level. It will get incorporated into your normal life and improve it.
You need to know that you can do it. Take small steps and you'll get there.

Rob Tucker said...

Great advice all around.

I've learned (the hard way) that you just need to do it. Get a schedule in your head. It doesn't have to be "2:30 - Eat 3 peanuts", but have your meals planned out.

If you don't count calories - there's one simple truth - you're eating more than you think.

Document it, at least for a while. You'll learn what works and what doesn't.

Marcol said...

I agree with those who have spoken before me. This whole weight loss thing is a process. And a huge intial part of the process is assessing the situation, deciding what you want to do about the situation and and getting the right information to approach the task. After becoming informed and learning about what its going to take you decide to make the decision. Its sort of like how youre in real estate and the process a new home buyer goes through. They cant think of just mortgage when they purchase but what if the heater breaks down or the roof blows off will be prepared for that. So it is with weight loss you have to count the cost and be willing to pay the price. You have to decide what the property (your body) is worth to you and then what level of investment youre willing to make as a result. If its majorly important than youll pay the price in the gym, through portion control, counting calories...whatever it requires.

You can do this Kyle and this time around Im not going to let you back out - because if you do a year from now youll be mad at yourself for having to start all over again.

If your schedule is hectic maybe planning every meal isnt going to be feasible for you so maybe you should think about counting calories. Figure out your daily allotment and then everytime you eat deduct it from your food bank account for the day...this should help you stay on track. If you start to realize the junk is costing you too much youll eventually stop having it...

Hope this helps :)