Thursday, January 10, 2008

Drawing Inspiration


For most of us inspiration isn't much of a problem. It's all around us. I'm inspired by all of your hard work which is obviously paying off. My daughters and wife inspire me to do better. I see someone with a body that I'd like to have, and again I'm inspired. With that being said, there is one way that I, for whatever reason, rarely draw inspiration..........thru music. Not that I don't appreciate what goes into writing the lyrics to a song, quite the contrary actually, but I just don't often take the words and apply them to a certain aspect of my life. Anyways where I'm going with this is that I guess I'm going to take a page out of Gene's book and quote a portion of a song that for some reason is inspiring me. The song is called "Prayer of the Refugee" by a band called Rise Against. The second verse has been stuck in my head for a while now, it goes:


"We are the angry and the desperate, the hungry and the cold.

We are the ones that kept quiet, and always did what we were told."

"But we've been sweating while you slept so calm in the safety of your home,

we've been pulling out the nails that hold up everything you've known."


I've thought about why this particular verse inspires me into action. I feel like represents the person inside of me, my alter ego maybe. I've recently started getting up very early (4:30 this morning!!) to do my workouts, so the third line gets me going in the morning. It makes me realize that there are MANY people out there working to better themselves while I sleep, and I want to be one of those people. And the last line makes me think of all the bad habits that I'm in the process of breaking, "pulling out the nails that hold up everything I've known" so that I can build a new lifestyle.


So there it is. Counting this morning I've worked out 4 times since Sunday so I'm definitely on the right track. The key is to continue when I start seeing results, not to get complacent. My eating has been spot on with the exception of a little indulgence at lunch yesterday. I think that I'm going to start posting a weekly weigh in similar to what Brian does so that I can see my progress. I weigh myself more often than that, but not every day so a weekly or 5 day average might be tough to come by until I can invest in a quality scale for home. I'll start doing it on Mondays.


I hope this finds you all doing well. Keep workin'............I'll talk to you later :)~

7 comments:

layla said...

Kyle I was delighted to read your post. 430 am shows some dedication man! you seem to have found that drive and desire, the motivation to finally put things in place. keep it up!

Brian said...

you're picking it up now. Good to see!

In no time you'll be a in groove and seeing some good results.

Anonymous said...

"The key is to continue when I start seeing results, not to get complacent."
That's so true!! It's so easy to just settle, but you keep on going. Keep it up!

Rob Tucker said...

4:30 is nuts, man. Good for you - I'm in the gym at 6 most days, but 4:30's a whole new level. Whatever it takes - seems like you might have found something here. Awesome.

kyle said...

Well I must confess that I was up at 4:30 to rock my baby back to sleep which only takes about 5 minutes at that time of night, and I decided that since I was up I might as well go. Usually it'll be closer to 5 or 5:30 that I start, at least that's the plan :)

Jay said...

Nice job man! it's really tough to stick to something like this if you're dealing with a newborn. Keep up the good work!

GeneTheK said...

4:30 beats my 5:10.

I love seeing so many people finding inspiration in song.

Good for you Kyle. Keep it up man.